Co-Education means the teaching of both boys and girls in the same school and under the same roof. It also means imparting the same education to both the sexes without any distinction. This system of education aims at bringing boys and girls together. It allows free mixing of sexes without any inhibition.
In ancient India also, there was no segregation between boys and girls in the Aryan society. In the modern times, co-educational system is common in Europe and USA. In India also, now-a-days more and more co-educational schools and colleges are being established.
Merits of Co Educations:
- There are many advantages and hardly any disadvantages in the co-educational system of education.
- If boys and girls are taught together, there will not be any need for opening separate schools for boys and girls.
- Co-education is an economical system, because both boys and girls can study in same schools and they can be taught by the same staff.
- Boys and girls have to live together in the society in their later lives and if they are taught together from the very beginning, they can understand each other well.
- If they are taught together, it will create a sense of healthy competition among them. In this manner, they will work hard and pay serious attention to their studies.
- The boys will not indulge in eve-teasing and the girls will not be afraid of boys. Thus they will have a balanced development of their personality.
Demerits of Co Education:
Of course certain conservative people criticize the system of co-education. According to them, this system is against our tradition. They also fear that co-education will develop immoral relationships between boys and girls. They believe that in this system both the boys and girls will be spoilt. But these arguments do not hold much water.
Let us, therefore accept the changing order and open more and more co-educational institutions in future and say good bye to separate institutions.
Kindly play this video to know more about Co-education in India: